Attorney Discerning

Just another poor dumb sinner; trying to do what he can for Christ & His Church

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGH IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK IN THE WATER - Jesuit John Comes and Saves You

Mission Statement
The community and the ministry of the Jesuit Urban Center are grounded in belief in God, in whose all-embracing love we find true freedom, and in commitment to justice, which is integral to faith. In the Catholic tradition and following the inspiration of St. Ignatius Loyola, we expect and pray to find God in all the diversity of our world.Sisters and brothers united in Christ we discover nourishment in our companionship as disciples, in the Word of our God, and in our sharing at the table of Eucharist.Together we strive to respond to Jesus' Gospel call by serving those in need, by working to heal division, and by being a place of welcome for all.


You’re correct John. (Knee jerk reaction)

I was initially brought to the site through this link however.

http://www.jucboston.org/notes/AshWednesday2006.html

And had read that before scanning what I saw as a tepid mission statement.
I also am constantly dismayed by the lack of priestly garb.
Having gone to a Jesuit school, I would have been much more inspired if the I could have identified those with vocations.

http://www.jucboston.org/staff.html


Outlier?, "Boston Catholic" ?, "Take the Good with the Bad?", Raveing Opostates?, Inevitable in a Church with a Billion + members?,

What is a poor dumb sinner to think?

9 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're joking, right?

"I cant figure out from this mission statement If they are even Christian, much less Catholic"

Let me illuminate a few things for you. Its called "Jesuit Urban Center" and that should be your first clue that it is associated with the Church in some way. Second, it says "in the Catholic tradition" which means it won't discriminate in terms of who it serves, Catholic or non-Catholic, but it should be clear by now that it has a Catholic affiliation. If that doesn't have you convinced, notice they are inspired by Saint Ignatius, a Catholic Saint. Still don't get it? "united in Christ" ... "disciples" ... "Word of God" (with the W capitalized, signifying Christ) ... "Eucharist" with a capital E ... "Jesus' Gospel"

Still don't get it? Look at the rest of the site. Anyone thinking this is "vague deism" doesn't really understand deism. And I have my doubts that you understand polytheism as well; "our God" signifies plurality in believers, not plurality in gods.

Your final questions might be valid ones. I haven't ever seen the place... But take a deep breath, read the mission statement again and, following the advice of Saint Ignatius (and the Catechism of the Catholic Church), try your best to put a charitable interpretation on what you encounter.

Jesuit John

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m not sure what in the world you’re getting yourself so worked up about. The mission statement says nothing about not being a serial killer, but that doesn’t mean it’s suggesting there’s nothing wrong with serial killing. You’re reading into it.

I’m not saying the statement is any grand work of piety or theology, clearly its not. But then again, how many parish mission statements are? What about this has got you so flummoxed? I really don't get it.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger On Lawn said...

I'm not Catholic, but my oma-in-law is. I told her once that if I were Catholic I'd probably be a Jesuit. She told me she is more a Franciscan but that Jesuits are "tough dudes". She has a lot of respect for them.

For me I appreciate their history as a rebel force in Europe across the ages.

BTW, could I get you to send me an email? My email address is in my profile.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Karen said...

(1) Please don't lose heart.
(2) Plese send me your e-mail address so I can elaborate without being pounced on by Jesuits. I've got three teenagers, I can't take any more abuse.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's God saying?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Travis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Travis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Travis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fitz, how did an illiterate moron like you, who can't string three words together without mis-spelling two of them, ever get through law school?

Better get on to the priesthood where all the choir boys you want to bugger won't be worried about your spelling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home